That's why I started looking for an OS replacement for my iBook. Before I knew it, Apple went and changed things and I could no longer install new versions of OS X. I couldn't even update my browser since I didn't have the latest OS X. It became very frustrating. So it was either stay stuck with un-updatable OS X or find an alternative. I always heard Leo Laporte raving about Linux so I figured I'd give it a try. After giving up on Ubuntu I somehow found a link that led to MintPPC. And yay it's running!
While it's an old machine, the OS runs quite well. Now I have the pleasure of finding the software that everyone takes for granted to run on a PowerPC machine, namely Flash. I am sure I will find everything I need on forums.

9.12.11 Update
This project is over unfortunately. I was having a lot of crashes. I really would love to learn Linux but I can sort of understand why it never takes off (besides Android.) It's just too complicated looking. One peek into the settings and it's a bit overwhelming. If I had the time to really learn everything I was looking at I would get more out of it.
Nice!
ReplyDeleteLinuxopjemac
would love love love it if you could post a video on youtube showing that ibooks performance with MintPPC
ReplyDeleteI will certainly do that. =)
ReplyDeleteI would not run Linux on your Mac-If you want to run Linux build a Linux machine with the right hardware , and many to be found out there..
ReplyDeleteof course it's nice to play around a bit ..cause you got bored with the mac not being
able to upgrade any more , i did this with my G3 power pc and the best dist was Ubuntu 7 for ppc, but then again..crashes are included :)
Last night i installed Ubuntu5 to my Dell Latitude 700 mhz 256 mb laptop and it runs ok, no crashes but no updates and no add and remove, cause the project is outdated and not supported anymore, but it runs so beautiful that i,m willin to learn how to install the codecs and important things i need to at least watch a video or play music , internet works like a charm although WIFI can only connect to WEP, so i need to figure out how i,m gonna fix that,,,i hear it's possible.
If you want to check this laptop go to my youtube it's www.youtube.com/channel48 check in the video list i will make and add the video today.
greets from a PC MAC LINUX fan